Phantom 2 or Phantom 2 Vision? Which do I get???
We have been fielding this question fairly often lately. Customers are torn between the Phantom 2 and the Phantom 2 Vision. Maybe one day we'll get the best of both worlds from DJI but in the meantime here's my comparison of the two:
Both units share the increased flight time due to the intelligent high capacity battery. However, there are some real differences between the two.
- Smartphone integration through DJI app which allows for real time video viewing, on screen display of altitude, speed, etc., control of camera functions, "Find my Vision" feature, and more
This is probably the biggest selling point of the Vision. It's great to be able to have all of the GPS, OSD, and control features right out of the box through the Vision's Wifi network. This is by far the biggest selling point of the Vision.
- You have to use DJI's camera which has a very basic single axis gimbal.
The Phantom 2 with Zenmuse gimbal is a great quad. But like the Vision, it's not perfect.
Phanton 2 with Zenmuse Pros:
- Zenmuse gimbal is several degrees of magnitude better than the Vision's gimbal. It's smoothness can't be beat and when paired with the GoPro Hero 3 you get truly epic shots.
Phantom 2 Cons:
- While the Phantom 2 comes prewired for the Zenmuse and ready for wireless video you still have to mount the Zenmuse yourself.
- Out of the box the Phantom 2 has no wireless video or OSD. This is unfortunate as anyone who is using the Phantom 2 with the Zenmuse gimbal and GoPro is also going to require at a minimum wireless video.
For me it boils down to this; if you are in the market for a slick, easy, ready to go out of the box, packed with a ton of features, and are mainly interested in still shots and consumer grade video then the Vision is for you.
If, on the other hand, you are looking for stunning video and that is your primary concern then you have no choice but to go with the Phantom 2 and finish configuring it on your own.
My two cents. And that's probably about what my opinion is worth!
- Jonathan B